Cross infection screen
Clinical Indications To screen for the following organisms:
- multi-drug resistant coliforms
- multi-drug resistant Acinetobacter baumanni
- vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE)
- carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae (CPE)
Sample Required Swabs in Amies transport medium
Transport/Storage Transport to the laboratory on the day of collection or refrigerate overnight
Turnaround Time 3 days
- Samples may be referred to Public Health England for further investigation.
- The OKN test used to detect carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae test is qualitative and cannot predict the quantity of antigens present in the sample. Clinical presentation and other test results must be taken into consideration to establish diagnosis.
- A positive test does not rule out the possibility that other antibiotic resistance mechanisms may be present. (The test is able to detect OXA-48, KPC,NDM only).
- The laboratory is not currently accredited for the OKN test due to a change in platform.
- The laboratory is also not currently accredited for detection by PCR of Detection of Carbapenem Resistant organisms due to a change in platform.
- See here for further information
- Carbapenamase PCR Test results available on separate Accession number.